Zillow’s 2016 Housing Market Predictions
- The median age of first-time home buyers will set a new record in 2016. Buyers are already about three years older, on average, than they were in the 1980s.
- More low-income Americans will be priced out of homeownership. Home values are rising faster than incomes, so in 2016, the poorest Americans will be unable to afford even the least expensive homes.
- Rents will soar in 2016, bringing the highest median rents ever.
- People will move outside cities to find affordable homes, and that will change the suburbs. Hot spots for 2016 will be dense, walkable suburbs with urban amenities.
- More than 100 economic and housing experts in the latest Zillow Home Price Expectations Survey pinned home value growth at about 3.5% .